Table of Contents
👷🏼♂️ WORK IN PROGRESS 👷🏼♂️
Here are some questions to ask when first engaged in a sales consulting project:
- have you implemented a qualification methodology? B2B Sales Qualification Methodologies
- do you have a sales playbook?
- what are your key challenges across your revenue function?
- ideal customer profiles & buyer personas?
- average, min & max sales cycle?
- key stages of your sales pipeline, and how do you measure progress through them?
- key metrics you use to measure the performance of your sales team, and how do you track them?
- how do you currently manage your sales pipeline? Do you have a CRM system in place, and how is it being utilized?
- what is your close rate?
- biggest challenges you face in closing deals, and how are you currently addressing them?
- percentage of closed deals replacing a similar solution (competitor displacement) vs fist-time user of a dedicated software solution (ie replacing spreadsheets, manual process, etc)?
- lead generation strategies & tactics?
- lead follow-up strategies & tactics?
- objections handling?
- pricing strategy, and how do you determine your pricing?
- current sales goals, and how are you tracking progress towards them?
- do you have a process in place to ensure your reps always have "outreach fodder" (ie new content, case studies, etc)?
- is asking for referrals part of your sales process? Part of your CS playbook? How do you do it?
- is the difference between a Coach and a Champion clear to your team?
- do you assess for having a Champion in the account during the Sales process?
- how do you test for having a Champion?
- what is your current sales process?
- do you have a sales playbook?
- what determines a qualified opportunity?
- how does a first touch look like for a prospect engaging your company? Do you measure response time?
- do you have a format/template to present the business case back to your prospect/Champion?
- are reps enabled to be flexible with pricing (up or down)?
- how accurate is your sales forecast? Can you provide a historical overview (monthly/quarterly forecast vs actual)?
- do you sell only directly, or also via partners (Channel Sales)?
- what proportion of revenues do Channel Sales represent?
- what kind of partners do you work with?
- what Channel Sales activities do you run to support your partners?
- do you have co-selling partners? (complementary products/services, selling into each other's accounts)
- what is the USP (Unique Selling Point) of your solution?
- what pain point do you solve for your customers?
- how is your pricing structured?
- how do you know your current pricing is at the right level? (experimentations conducted?)
- how many reps hit quota? Last year? This year?
- rep attrition rate?
- how are your comp plans structured?
- what percentage of your total revenues does your Sales costs represent?
- what was the split of new vs existing customers revenue last year? This year?
- who are your competitors?
- do you have a clear positioning against each?
- do you run displacement campaigns?
- what is the split of deals closed from inbound leads vs outbound?
- what was the split of deals closed from inbound leads vs outbound?
- are inbound leads pre-qualified in some way before being assigned to a rep?
Expansion in existing accounts
- what expansion vectors do you have? (eg. upsell, cross-sell, new features & add-ons, etc)
- what is your renewal rate?
- are AEs involved in renewals or handled only by CS?
- what tactics are used to "save" customers from churn?
- how do you handle customer success?
- how do you measure ROI for your clients? Is there a system in place to ensure clients are aware of it (when good) or tackle any issues if not?
- how would you define your sales culture?
- can you provide a short overview of each rep with their performance (against quota), tenure, key attributes/skills & key deficiencies?
- what packages are your reps on (OTE, base + commission)?
- are you adjusting your reps' territory/role based on their skillset (after "getting-to-know-you" period)?
- how does the Support structure look like for your reps (Executives, Sales Engineering, Marketing, Technical Support, etc)?
- ongoing sales team training?
- do you have a culture & processes in place to ensure your sales team are always learning & improving?
- do you leverage tribal knowledge in your sales team, ie replicate what works at individual level across your team? How?
- do you run spiffs/incentives, aligned with short-term goals?
- what are your recruiting criteria & process?
- what is your sales stack? What is a B2B Sales stack?
- what are the current SaaS metrics of the company? SaaS metrics
For Pricing references see B2B Sales Consulting pricing